Family History UK

Go Back   Family History UK Genealogy Forums > FHUK Community General Forum > FHUK General Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

FHUK Community Forums
     * Help us, to help you, to help each other *

FHUK General Chat Room Family History UK General Chat Room - Come on in get a cuppa on and come and have a chat! Anything goes - within reason!

Family History UK comunity forums - FHUK
» Forum Adverts

Find My Past

Get your genealogy online

Tony Robinson Ancestry Tutorial 120x600

Genes Reunited.co.uk

Old 20th April 2017, 17:43   #1
benny1982
FHUK Super Moderator

Another conundrum.

In 1767 my ancestor Sarah Lee married Thomas Standen in Bolney, Sussex. She died in March 1768 probably in childbirth. She is one of those who had a headstone and the age at death was given as 34. So born c1733/1734 ish.

I have Bolney PR transcripts but unfortunately the names of the witnesses to her wedding are omitted in the transcripts.

If it is either of these 2 I found 2 possibilities for Sarah's baptism.

Sarah Lee baptised in 1733 in Clayton daughter of Thomas and Mary Lee and a Sarah Lee baptised 29 Nov 1734 in Ditchling (which is next to Clayton) daughter of William and Mary Lee. Ditchling and Clayton are about 4 or 5 miles away from Bolney.

It seems the Clayton Sarah's parents died in 1737 as a Thomas and Mary Lee are buried there in 1737. Sarah's siblings all seemed to marry and live in Clayton. I have Clayton PR's and no Sarah Lee's or Sarah Standen's witnessed their weddings. The Clayton Sarah either died or married outside Clayton.

Inbetween 1755 and 1770 outside my Bolney Sarah, any other Sarah lee marriages seem to be several miles from Clayton/Bolney/Ditchling.

A Mary Lee, widow was buried in Bolney in 1767. Possible relative of my Sarah. In 1771 a William Lee of Bolney wed Mary Storrington in Lindfield. Sarah Lee born in Ditchling had one known sibling, a brother William in 1731.

<----- www.familyhistory.uk.com FHUK member researching ancestor names: ----->
Coombs, Roberts, Titshall, Stewart, Auber, Helsdon, Archer, Cornwell, Stock, Edgington, Musgrave.