Family History UK

Go Back   Family History UK Genealogy Forums > Genealogy Help > Genealogy Beginners Help

Share This Forum!  

FHUK Community Forums
     * Help us, to help you, to help each other *

Genealogy Beginners Help Everyone has to start somewhere! Postings for people who want help - Go on, ask that question! We will try to help you! help us to help you!

Family History UK comunity forums - FHUK
» Forum Adverts

Find My Past

Get your genealogy online

Tony Robinson Ancestry Tutorial 120x600

Genes Reunited.co.uk

Old 4th February 2010, 21:31   #1
fishmonger
FHUK Junior Member

Taylors in Essex

Hello,whilst i am fairly new to the wonderful world of the internet and these sort of excellent sites,i have been researching my Taylor family history on and off for 20yrs.
My particular branches of the Taylors come from the Saffron Walden and Wimbish areas of Nth Essex,my 3xGreat Grandfather Allin (actually Allen or Allan-the spelling varies in different documents)was born in 1790 the 5th child of 8 son of Richard Taylor and wife Mary (maiden name unknown) he married Ann Stock in 1811 they had 6 children before she died aged 35 in 1825,December 1826 sees him remarried to Rebecca Coe who became a breeding machine producing 9 offsprings before she died of "child bed" aged approx 40 in 1841.
The 6th child of this union was Harriet born in 1833 she is my Great Great Grandmother,she managed to have an illigitamate son in 1851 called Thomas and another illigitamate son Allen in 1853 who is my great Grandfather,i believe the father of these 2 could have the surname Jarvis or possably Jervis.
Allen married a Noami Taylor (different branch of Taylors) who came from a long line of Wimbish Taylors they had 9 children including my Grandfather Oliver Aubrey Taylor born in Castle Street Safron Walden in 1879.
I have lots of information on great Aunts Uncles etc and families they married into including local names such as Housdens,Bassetts etc.
My main stumbling block concerns Harriet who disappears from Safron Walden in 1866,she appears in rating books in April that year but by Nov her rented room is empty,i have been unable to trace a marraige or death for her or find her in any cencuses after 1861,if anyone has any ideas i would love to hear from you or if think you may have some connection to my taylors please get in touch
Cheers for now Neil

<----- www.familyhistory.uk.com FHUK member researching ancestor names: ----->
Taylor,Kavanagh,Brown,Redfern,Upchurch,Spiers,
Old 5th February 2010, 09:09   #2
Robesur
FHUK Senior Member

Re: Taylors in Essex

This is a shot in the dark, but I presume that you have looked for all possible marriages for Harriet, I therefore would presume that she is living with someone as 'wife' but they did not marry.
In 1861 living at 16 Foundry Street, Kingston St Mary, Gloucs. is a Thomas Powell, 30, Widower, Iron Founder, b. Gloucester. He is with his widowed mother Sarah and two children, Henry T Powell 4 and a Sarah 3, both born Stroud.
In 1871 Thomas 40, Iron Founder, b.Gloucester and his son now called Thomas 15, b. Stroud are living at 103 Cambridge Terrace, St Georges Hanover Square, London with a 'wife' Harriet Powell, b. Wimbish. Harriets age is unclear but 30 something, plus 3 daughters Ann 5, Mary Ann 3, and Harriet 9 months.
I cannot see any marriage for a Thomas Powell with any Harriet who could have come from Wimbish nor any other Harriet from Wimbish of a similar age. This family were at the same address in 1881 with 3 further children.
All the children appear to have been registered in SGHS district as 'Powell'.
The only way to prove or disprove this theory is to purchase the birth certificate of one of the children.

Pallett Chapman Holmes Humphrey Hunt Marsh Thake Ruse
Old 5th February 2010, 20:31   #3
fishmonger
FHUK Junior Member

Hi,Thanks for your swift reply to my introduction,i havent followed up all marraiges for Harriet as there are just too many possabilities and i think it would cost too much ordering certificates.I dont know how you found this particular Harriet from Wimbish,but as much as it may be a long shot the dates,ages of children etc fit perfectly,i shall contact St Georges Hanover Sq on Monday to see if they would be prepared to check a birth cert for one of the children to see if Harriets maiden name is Taylor,if they wont do it by phone (from experience some registrars will do a quick check to let you know if its the correct cert)then i will certainly send in a postal application,i will let you know how i get on and thank you once again for your help and advice
Kind Regards Neil

Old 11th February 2010, 21:06   #4
fishmonger
FHUK Junior Member

Hi
Just received an e-mail reply from Westminster registry office after my enquiry about the maiden name for Harriet Powell,unfortunately they have confirmed its not Taylor so its back to the drawing board for the missing Harriet,any suggestions anyone?
Cheers Neil

Old 17th February 2010, 18:59   #5
benny1982
FHUK Super Moderator

Hi

I also descend from Allen Taylor and Ann Taylor. I have never been able to trace their marriage. I have her burial in August 1825 in Wimbish aged 35 and the burial says "Wife of Allen". I descend from their son William c1823-1898.

What do you know about the other children born to Allen and Ann and where did he marry? Was it in Wimbish?

Ben

Coombs, Roberts, Titshall, Stewart, Auber, Helsdon, Archer, Cornwell, Stock, Edgington, Musgrave.
Old 21st February 2010, 19:03   #6
fishmonger
FHUK Junior Member

Hi Ben
Allen Taylor married Ann Stock 6-11-1811 @ St Marys Saffron Walden,Ann was burried 22-8-1825 aged 35 @ Wimbish. I've managed to trace 6 of their children,but believe there may have been others due to gaps in dates,further research is needed
James born 1811/12 ,Marr Ann Challis(?name/spelling)1837/38,still looking for children from this marriage
Ann bapt @ Wimbish 7-4-1816
Elizabeth bapt @ Wimbish 7-2-1820
Susanna '' '' '' ''
William bapt @ Wimbish 22-2-1824
John '' '' '' ''

Elizabeth marr James Taylor @ Wimbish 16-11-1844
William is your 3xGrandfather,so you know what he did
John marr Susan Kullian (? spelling) @ Wimbish 29-7 1847

As said in my original thread after the death of Ann,Allen re-married 17-12-1826 to Rebecca Coe and they produced 9 children,the 6th being Harriet my 2xGreatgrandmother,who was obviously your 3xgreatgrandfathers half sister.I have a lot of information relating to Harriet and her siblings if you are interested,i would very much like to see your tree from William to yourself.
If you take Allen taylor as our common denominator relative i've worked out that we are 4th cousins once removed,do you agree this is correct?
Kind Regards Neil
P.S all this information has come from visits to Essex Records office @ Chelmsford and taken from microfilm or fiche of the relevant parish records.

Old 21st February 2010, 19:41   #7
benny1982
FHUK Super Moderator

Hi Neil

I found a reference to a will for a Richard Taylor in Wimbish in 1822. He was buried in December 1822 in Wimbish aged 67 so born about 1755.

William Taylor moved from Wimbish to Canewdon in about 1845. he married Mary Ann Lucking in June 1851 in Canewdon, father Allen Taylor, a labourer. By 1851 Allen was living in Cambridgeshire.

William's son James born 1857 in Canewdon is my great, great grandfather. He wed in 1887 to Gertrude Wallaker and I descend from their daughter Olive born 1887. William Taylor died in May 1898 in Rochford Workhouse.

Ben

Coombs, Roberts, Titshall, Stewart, Auber, Helsdon, Archer, Cornwell, Stock, Edgington, Musgrave.
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:32   #8
fishmonger
FHUK Junior Member

Hi Ben
Some more details re Allen Taylor that you may or may not be aware of,as you state by 1851 he is living in Cambridgeshire - Harston High street to be precise with his 13yr old son Allen and a 26yr old lodger Robert Fuller,all 3 are from Wimbish and all described as labourers. 10yrs on and Allen has moved to Bourn Cambs to a public house called the Slow Fox (i think its slow,very hard to read but definately the something fox) although now 70 he's a brickmaker along with son Allen who is still with him,they have been joined by 2 grandsons of Allen senior Joseph 16 and Benjamin 13-somewhere in all the paperwork i have amassed i'm sure i will find who the 2 grandsons "belong" to.
1871 sees Allen aged 81 in the workhouse in Saffron Walden,i've traced his buriel to Wimbish where he was burried 31-10-1877,the records state he was from the Union so it would appear that he spent at least the last 6yrs of his life in the workhouse
Kind Regards
Neil

Old 23rd February 2010, 19:01   #9
benny1982
FHUK Super Moderator

Hi Neil

Ooh so Allen ended up in the workhouse for the rest of his life after about 1870. It would be good to find when he moved back to Essex.

Allen's son William ended up in the workhouse by 1891 and when he died in 1898 he was still in the workhouse.

Ben

Old 30th March 2013, 18:13   #10
benny1982
FHUK Super Moderator

Hi Neil

I am trying to trace the marriages and deaths of the children of Allen Taylor and Rebecca Coe. I found Charles who remained in Harston, Cambs.

Richard Taylor born 1829 vanishes after 1841.
Allen Taylor born 1837 is last seen in the 1861 census in Bourn, Cambridgeshire.
Charlotte Taylor vanishes inbetween 1841 and 1851.
As said your Harriett Taylor vanished.

I wonder if they emigrated? Australia, America etc?? The two main countries of British immigrants? Or Canada as a third option.

Ben