Family History UK

Go Back   Family History UK Genealogy Forums > Software and Internet > Genealogy on the Internet

Share This Forum!  

FHUK Community Forums
     * Help us, to help you, to help each other *

Genealogy on the Internet Discuss helpful websites for your family history research. Seen any good genealogy websites? Post them here!

Family History UK comunity forums - FHUK
» Forum Adverts

Find My Past

Get your genealogy online

Tony Robinson Ancestry Tutorial 120x600

Genes Reunited.co.uk

Old 29th December 2010, 09:51   #1
DeniseJD
FHUK Senior Member

Irish records

Hi
I'm with ances. site on an essentials package. I now need to find info on Northern Ireland, specifically Down, Armargh and Antrim. Would it be worthwhile me upgrading on this site to include their Irish records? I've tried 'irishroots' which appears to have lots of info but is quite expensive at five euros a record. Maybe I should join another site, but it is starting to get a bit much on the money side now so I have to be careful.
I'd be grateful for some advice on the best way forward here.
thanks
D

<----- www.familyhistory.uk.com FHUK member researching ancestor names: ----->
Hagan, Harris, Watson, McCann, Bennett, Fitzmaurice, Ferris, Loughran, Grantham
Old 29th December 2010, 11:06   #2
gortonboy
FHUK Senior Member

Re: Irish records

hi,,,,i would first try asking the questions on the forum that you need answering regarding Ireland,,,,,if it transpires that the answers are not forthcoming,,,then from the questions you posed,,we could direct you to the best site to subscribe to to get the answers you need.

TIMPERLEY,MCHUGH,MCHALE,KENNY,LEE,SMITH,VENABLES,PAYTON,McCARTHY
Old 29th December 2010, 11:08   #3
gortonboy
FHUK Senior Member

Irish Civil records are intact and these include all Births, Marriages and Deaths from 1864, although some early births may have missed registration. In addition, non-Catholic and Registry Office marriages were included in the registers from 1845.

Civil records can be searched in the Irish Civil BMD Index on familysearch, which is an index to these records. A new familysearch site has recently been launched which can be used as an alternative - see Familysearch Beta Website (This site is still under development and functionality can change from time to time)

Certs can then be ordered from the GRO using the references provided in the index record.

Also available online are the Irish 1901 and 1911 census (free) on the National Archives website. No other earlier complete Irish census returns have survived and only fragments of earlier ones for a few places survive.

For earlier dates church records will be required, and to start researching this you need to know two details : religion & location i.e. parish, town or townland (see addition details on Church records in the next post).

Some records are available on a free website IrishGenealogy - at the moment this website includes details for counties Carlow (Cofi), Kerry (RC & CofI), Diocese of Cork & Ross (RC) and parts of Dublin city & county (RC, CofI & Presbyterian). Additional RC records for Dublin and Cork are due to be added later in the year. The website also includes a sign-pointing index for counties Armagh, Cavan, Derry, Donegal, Fermanagh, Leitrim, Limerick, Mayo, Sligo, Tyrone and Wexford. Other areas are available on several subscription and pay-per-view websites.

Location of actual records depends mainly on the religion involved, but Catholic records are available on microfilm in the National Library in Kildare St, in Dublin (website : http://www.nli.ie/), and most Church of Ireland records are available in the Representative Church Body Library in Rathfarnham (website : http://ireland.anglican.org/library/).

There are also some useful extracted records on familysearch :

Births, 1864-1881
Marriages, 1845-1870
Deaths, 1864-1870 (not many included)

TIMPERLEY,MCHUGH,MCHALE,KENNY,LEE,SMITH,VENABLES,PAYTON,McCARTHY
Old 29th December 2010, 12:28   #4
DeniseJD
FHUK Senior Member

Thank you so much, that's really helpful advice.

Areas I am looking at are-
McCann: Newry. Loughran; Bessbrook. Watson:Lisburn. Ferris; Lisburn.

The McCann family from Newry area. I have Patrick Joseph McCann who was born c 1860, I think. He had 9 children, the youngest was my grandma (Kathleen) in 1914, he is shown on her marriage certificate in 1935 as deceased, marrying in Newry Cathedral, RC, Down. Family history says his wife was called Ann possibly, but I can only find a Mary Bridget Fee, I don't know which is correct yet. (and I have to admit, horrors of horrors, I am not sure where I found this information!!, I am relatively new to this and am now starting to realise why it is so important to record all the information I find and where it is from!!, Lesson learnt now!!)

The other name is Loughran, I have Mary Loughran marrying John Watson (other great grandparents) in 1906 in RC at Bessbrook, he was born July 1873, her I think around 1876. John's parents are James Watson and Sarah Ferris, married in 1872 in Lisburn Catherdral, Antrim. I am looking for Mary's parents, his name was ML (James) Loughran, but don't know his wife's name. Mary had a sister called Annie who went to America.

I then have James Watson's father as Richard Watson, b c 1824 and possible his father as James b c 1798, but no other info. Sarah Ferris's father was Alexander, I want to find more out about him and his family.

I hope all that makes sense and someone will be able to point me to the right areas to look, I find this side much more complicated but it is still interesting, only problem is, I might have to give up work to spend more time on here!

thanks gortonboy for your help, any further thoughts on the above would be great.
D

Old 29th December 2010, 12:52   #5
DeniseJD
FHUK Senior Member

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com

What a fantastic site this is, so informative! Thank you! One more cuppa and I'm set for the afternoon with this!

Old 29th December 2010, 15:00   #6
davelambert271
FHUK Super Moderator

Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,280 Posts

Hi Denise

This is your link to the Irish census's of 1901/1911, if you have not got there yet. some of your families should be on them..

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

dave

Lambert Norfolk & Hull, Davis, Foster, Heritage of Ramsgate, Rose