Family History UK

Go Back   Family History UK Genealogy Forums > FHUK Community General Forum > FHUK General Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

FHUK Community Forums
     * Help us, to help you, to help each other *

FHUK General Chat Room Family History UK General Chat Room - Come on in get a cuppa on and come and have a chat! Anything goes - within reason!

Family History UK comunity forums - FHUK
» Forum Adverts

Find My Past

Get your genealogy online

Tony Robinson Ancestry Tutorial 120x600

Genes Reunited.co.uk

Old 20th November 2009, 08:49   #1
duckweed
FHUK Senior Member

Augustus Melville Goodacre

A mouthful of a name. I suspect there are a few stories with this family. His father was a prominent merchant in Liverpool who was declared bancrupt at one time but seemed to be trading again not long after. His father Samuel was big in the freemasons. However Augustus is mentioned as being imprisoned 1st Feb 1866 and signed on in the army on the 17th April 1866 as a Sapper in the Royal Engineers. Maybe his father thought a spell in the army would sort him out. He spent several spells in the army according to records First from 86 -89. He lost his good conduct pay so obviously still a bad boy. He married a London girl in 1890. Then he was re engaged in 98 and finally discharged in 1901. I just wonder what he was in jail for but haven't found him in the papers yet. Was he one bad apple or were there other shady Goodacres?

<----- www.familyhistory.uk.com FHUK member researching ancestor names: ----->
Bullivant, Thompson, Storer, Prescott, Teasdale, Walker, Martin, Goodacre, Jarvis, Startup, Wickens
Old 20th November 2009, 09:08   #2
gibbo
FHUK Super Moderator

Thanked 2,861 Times in 2,273 Posts
Re: Augustus Melville Goodacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckweed View Post
A mouthful of a name. I suspect there are a few stories with this family. His father was a prominent merchant in Liverpool who was declared bancrupt at one time but seemed to be trading again not long after. His father Samuel was big in the freemasons. However Augustus is mentioned as being imprisoned 1st Feb 1866 and signed on in the army on the 17th April 1866 as a Sapper in the Royal Engineers. Maybe his father thought a spell in the army would sort him out. He spent several spells in the army according to records First from 86 -89. He lost his good conduct pay so obviously still a bad boy. He married a London girl in 1890. Then he was re engaged in 98 and finally discharged in 1901. I just wonder what he was in jail for but haven't found him in the papers yet. Was he one bad apple or were there other shady Goodacres?

Hi Duckweed
Another one of your interesting rellies? i had a look in the papers and couldnt find anything neither. There was a Robert Goodacre who appears to have been naughty but nothing on your Augustus.

gibbo

shipman
Old 20th November 2009, 10:52   #3
duckweed
FHUK Senior Member

Haven't found a Robert. Seems like Augustus died soon after he left the army as his wife remarries in 1903.

Bullivant, Thompson, Storer, Prescott, Teasdale, Walker, Martin, Goodacre, Jarvis, Startup, Wickens
Old 20th November 2009, 13:02   #4
p.risboy
FHUK Super Moderator

Thanked 1,196 Times in 938 Posts

Hi DW,

It says that he died in Kroonstad, of Enteric fever. 02/05/1901.(according to Ancestry images).
One way of getting discharged I suppose.

It's a shame that so many records have been destroyed. You certainly have some colourful characters.
As he was convicted of fraud in Liverpool, I would suppose that he succumbed to a similar temptation in the Army.

Steve.

Ives, Stevens, Burgess, Graham, Williams, Moore, Shepperd, King, Allen, Gomme, Cummings, Smith.
Old 20th November 2009, 13:24   #5
duckweed
FHUK Senior Member

The Goodacre family seem pretty interesting generally. There are a lot of merchants who range from Wine to Tobacco and Gunpowder. Seems to be a connection to John Player by marriage. 2 Goodacres were eminent astronomers.
Samuel supported an escaped slave from America with finance so he could lecture around England on the evils of slavery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.risboy View Post
Hi DW,

It says that he died in Kroonstad, of Enteric fever. 02/05/1901.(according to Ancestry images).
One way of getting discharged I suppose.

It's a shame that so many records have been destroyed. You certainly have some colourful characters.
As he was convicted of fraud in Liverpool, I would suppose that he succumbed to a similar temptation in the Army.

Steve.