Family History UK

Go Back   Family History UK Genealogy Forums > Country Forums > Scottish Genealogy Roots

Share This Forum!  

FHUK Community Forums
     * Help us, to help you, to help each other *

Scottish Genealogy Roots forum for posting your search queries for your Scottish Genealogy roots or for posting any Scottish genealogy questions

Family History UK comunity forums - FHUK
» Forum Adverts

Find My Past

Get your genealogy online

Tony Robinson Ancestry Tutorial 120x600

Genes Reunited.co.uk

Old 1st March 2017, 16:07   #11
Pentlander

Re: John PENTLAND

I've only just come across this thread, so I don't know the context.

It would take too long to go into gritty detail, but to clarify: Euphemia Pentland (d/o John Pentland & Ann Knight) did not have three children. She did have Lewis Walker & John Pentland. She died unmarried 1897 Newtongrange, Newbattle.

It's easy to understand the mix-up, for it was another Euphemia Pentland who had illeg Euphemia Pentland. She was d/o Colin Pentland & Margaret Young (actually baptised Euphans but always used Euphemia thereafter). She died 1898 Millerhill, Newton, widow of John Brown.

As you rightly imply, her illeg dau Euphemia Pentland died 1914 in Edinburgh, widow of William Daniels. William Pennycuik, at the time a married man, was accused of being the father which he denied but Euphemia's father Colin was pretty clear that he had found the culprit after having "questioned" him.

The illeg son John Pentland did marry twice - his death registration in 1924 proves that. He names his father as John Pentland contractor on his first marriage, and Charles Pentland grocer on his second marriage. 'Charles Pentland grocer' is a clear reference to Charles Shedden grocer, who probably brought him up (he had been married to his mother's sister Ann Pentland). 'John Pentland contractor' we think might be son of John Pentland a carter & Janet Lauder.

I'm actually in the process of untangling Liberton's earlier John Pentlands - an impossible task! - when I came across your post. My 3xgtgdparents are John Pentland & Ann Knight, parents of Euphemia Pentland mother of John.

Howard

<----- www.familyhistory.uk.com FHUK member researching ancestor names: ----->
Geddes, Watson, Hain, Chatham/Shatton, Pentland, Brash, Comb, Bottomley, Armitage, Smith, etc