You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Researching Joseph Barnes [Archive] - Family History UK Genealogy Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Researching Joseph Barnes

sandra
27th November 2006, 02:34
Hi I'm trying to research my Great Great Grandfather Joseph Samuel Barnes. Who was born in London 1824, also his brother John born 1812. John married Elizabeth King Ellen in 1833. And had a son Thomas Alfred Barnes born 1836 Baptised 1837 at St. Dunstan's Stepney. England. Their parents were Joseph & Elizabeth Barnes nee Pickering. I have no information on the parents other than them being mention on John's Death Cert. I believe the father's occupation was a Brewer.
If anyone can help with information on this family it would be appreciated

Sandra

Smee
27th November 2006, 08:59
Hi Sandra

I will have a quick look up in the English index fiches we have at the local library and see if anything is mentioned....can you tell me what part of London they lived, I know there are fiches for London, however the family might just come under one of the other counties.

If there is anything int he London ones i will let you know what i find or don't find.

Happy hunting

Smee

sandra
28th November 2006, 03:53
Hi Smee,
Thanks for your reply. John's Death Cert only said London, but the IGI Ind. Record Said born 27 Jun 1812 Bletsoe, Bedford. Father Joseph Barnes & Mother Elizabeth Pickering. I had that searched & they couldn't find any record. Another IGI said Cornwall.
Also in the www.parishregister.com I found a Joseph Samuel Barnes. Father Joseph Barnes Mother Elizabeth. Father's Occupation Brewer's Servant. Address: Tarling Street, St. George in the East. Source Ref: X097/238

I don't know if this will be any help. But thanks anyway.

sandra

Smee
28th November 2006, 05:14
Hi Sandra

I haven't yet found Samuels birth in the London area so i assume that he was born elsewhere, so thanks for the up date. However i did find John Barnes, who married Elizabeth King Ellen on 14/07/1833 at St Antholin, Budge Row, London.

Their son Thomas Alfred Barnes also showed up in London, i found his christening record on 12/11/1837 at St Dunstan, Stepney. I wasn't sure if you had the dates.

I will keep looking for you in those other areas that you mentioned and see what happens, i might only get dates and places of birth/christening,marriage or death so i do hope this will help you..

Happy hunting

Smee

sandra
29th November 2006, 22:06
Hi Smee,

Yes I have the dates for Thomas, also John's Wedding. But am still searching for anything on Joseph. That Paish Register record I found on Joseph, do you happen to know how you get further information on that?

Regards
Sandra

Smee
2nd December 2006, 04:04
Hi Sandra

Sorry i have not replied, i seemed to have knocked down a big brickwall for my father in laws family with help form here and a few other places.

Not sure how you go about getting more information from parish records. Do you get electrol rolls on fiche at your local library? There again it might be too early for that........hummmmmm..i will have to have a think, tell me what you got off the parish reord and i will go a hunting again.

Smee

sandra
4th December 2006, 03:41
Hi Smee,
The only information I have is what I said on the message on the 28th Nov. Untill I can research further at the Library I think its a Brick Wall for me.
Thanks anyway.

Sandra

Smee
12th December 2006, 00:48
Hi Sandra:(

Still had no luck with the search, i am sure he will surface eventually, i will keep my eyes open when i am researching in London areas.

Anyway have a great christmas and new year,;D

Smee

Smee
12th December 2006, 00:50
Hi Sandra:)

Still had no luck with my search for you, i am sure he will surface eventually, i will keep my eyes open when i am researching in London areas.

Anyway have a great christmas and new year,;D

Smee

daune
7th August 2007, 04:31
Sandra from Narara, Nov., 2006...I am also researching the Joseph Barnes Family History for the Barnes Family near Wollongong but on a different branch..
Being Joseph and Elizabeth..John 1812 and Elizabeth Ellen King ..Thomas Alfred 1836 and Isabella STinson ..Arthur E 1877 and Winifred Mather..Arthur K 1911 and Irene V Whereat..Michael and Penelope...Peter and SAndra......If you would like previous history of John Barnes 1812 please let me know...If you know the name of the ship John and Elizabeth and 2 boys arrived on I would be pleased to know ..They had 6 children that I know of but the last four were born in Australia.. I feel very fortunate to have found this site and feel I may be able to more readily find lost ancestors in future....Best Wishes to ALL... Daune

sandra
29th March 2009, 03:30
Hi Daune,
I sort of lost touch with this sight and missed your message.
John Barnes and Elizabeth King Ellen with their children. Arrived in Sydney in 1841 on the "Abbotsford"
I would like any information you have on John Barnes 1812.

Regards
Sandra

DaveHam9
31st March 2009, 17:40
Hello Sandra & Daune,

I have John in my tree too. I also had no infomation about the vessel but I had this which may or may not be correct:

"Arrived with sister Susannah, brother Joseph and father Joseph"

I also had them arriving with only one child, son Thomas born 17 Apr 1836 somewhere in Middlesex?

I hope now to be able to fill in some gaps.

Regards,

Dave

sandra
1st April 2009, 05:18
Hi Dave,
Thank you for replying. Would you be able to tell me where you obtained the information, that brother Joseph, sister Susannah and father Joseph arrived with John? I haven't been able to find any information regarding them arriving in Australia.
The ship was the barque "Abbotsford" Departed London 26th Nov 1840 and Arrived Sydney 5th April 1841. Stating Mr Barnes and family were passengers.
Thomas Alfred Barnes Born17 April 1836.
Baptised 12 Nov, 1837. St. Dunstan's Stepney. England. Died 20 Oct, 1902 Murrumburrah. NSW Buried. Murrumburrah.
Other Children are John Frederick Barnes Born 26 Sep, 1837
Elizabeth Jane Born 9 Jan, 1839
Mary Ellen Barnes Born 9 Jan, 1839 (Twins )
George Robert Barnes Born 31 Jan, 1840 Born Stepney.
William John Barnes Born 25 Mar, 1842. Sydney.
Edward Prior Barnes Born 14 May 1844. Ashfield
Elizabeth Mary Marian Barnes Born 30 Jun, 1846.
Not sure if you have this information but in 1841 John's family settled near Yass on a small Sheep Station, for a few years before moving back to Sydney, settling on the Parramatta River, taking up fruit-growing and agriculture. In the 1850's they moved to Murrumburrah and established general merchandising stores there and at Cootamundra.
Any information you would like to share with me, on Joseph, Susannah and their father would be most welcome.
Regards
Sandra

DaveHam9
1st April 2009, 14:20
Hello Sandra,

It's about 15 months since I looked at the BARNES family. I've been busy working on two sets of GGG grand parents - ANGEL and BARRACLOUGH.

I doubt that everything I have is correct. And, I still have some gaps. I'll give you what I have and we can compare.

I don't have the source of that comment about brother and sister and father also being with John. There is conflicting data including stuff on WorldConnect trees. The name John BARNES is so common that I'm sure some researchers have picked up the wrong one - eg. the one with the Cornwall connections.

A note I have for Elizabeth King ELLEN says "6 children born in England and 3 went to Australia."

The John BARNES who married Elizabeth King ELLEN has what middle name and what parents? I have seen two different versions - one saying his middle name is Frederick and that he was born in Cornwall and one with no middle name and born in Bedford. One says his mother is Elizabeth PICKERING and one says it is Ann.
------------------------
Example of problems:

John Frederick BARNES
b. 26 Sep 1837 Privately submitted IGI John & Elizabeth Ellen King - where is the proof of this birth?

c. 12 Nov 1837 Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London, England John & Elizabeth King Batch: C055763

His birth is not in FreeBMD for Middlesex. Did he die in 1915 in Hurstville?
--------------------------
Elizabeth Jane BARNES ??
b. 20 Sep 1836 c. 3 Sep 1837 Saint Mary-St Marylebone Road, Saint Marylebone, London, England
John & Elizabeth Batch: C035248

If Elizabeth Jane and Mary Ellen were born on 9 Jan 1839 where are their entries in the CR Index?
-----------------
George Robert born Stepney ?
b. 31 Jan 1840 , England John & Elizabeth Ellen King Privately submitted IGI

Birth Reg# V18407324 45C/1840 BARNES GEORGE R JOHN ELIZABETH K

Would they baptise him on arrival in Sydney or was he born in NSW? I can't find an entry in FreeBMD. If they arrived on 5 Apr 1841 how can that reg be dated 1840?
------------
The marriage for Susannah also points to an arrival before 1840.

Marriage Reg# V18371534 21/1837 NICHOLS GEORGE R BARNES SUSANNAH E CJ= St. James' CofE, King St Sydney

That's 1837 and before the 'Abbotsford' in 1841. The passenger list just says 'Mr Barnes and family' - has anyone looked at the reel and found the names and the family members? There are an enormous number of BARNES.

Even Thomas Alfred appears as Thomas Albert in places. One says he was born in Padstow, Cornwall and another in Stepney, Middlesex.

Marriage Reg# 3228/1866 BARNES THOMAS ALBERT STINSON ISABELLA WAGGA WAGGA

Or is this a totally different person?

Marriage Reg# V1848351 33B/1848 BARNES JOSEPH STINSON ELIZABETH J MI= CofE Gunning/Yass

Which Joseph is that? Is that the Joseph brother of John and Susannah? Some say his middle name is Samuel.

Regards,

Dave

daune
2nd April 2009, 01:09
sandra and dave re John Barnes 1812 Bedford Bedfordshire UK died 1863 shot by Bushranger John Omeally at Wollenbeen, Burrangong NSW send your address to Daune PO Box 50 Marrickville NSW 2204 and I will post free of charge all I have ......I am now busy researching all the extra info you both have given .....daune

daune
2nd April 2009, 01:45
Hello to Sandra and Dave....re John Barnes 1912 born Bedford, Bedfordshire UK
died 1863 at Wollenbeen, Burrangong NSW....shot by Bushranger John O'Meally.....married Elizabeth Ellen King 1833...St Antholin, Budge Row, London UK....when was she born? died 1886 Cootamundra.. parents Thomas and mary.....Please send your address to Daune PO box 50 Marrickville NSW 2204 and I will post all I have FREE....Cheers, Daune

sandra
2nd April 2009, 03:00
Hi Dave,
The John Barnes that married Elizabeth King Ellen. I have his Death Cert. He has no second name mentioned. Father is Joseph Barnes Mother Elizabeth Pickering. IGI Records Has John Barnes Born 27th June 1812. Bletsoe, Bedford. England. Parents Joseph Barnes & Elizabeth Pickering. Also his marriage to Elizabeth King Ellen. On the 14 Jul 1833. at Saint Antholin Budge Row. London. England.
My information for John's children came from Barbara Carmichael's Book The Stinsons of North Berry Jerry.
BDM. New South Wales.
George R. Barnes. Born 1840 (Reg & Baptised. Information from Barbara Carmichael)
William J. Barnes Born 1842 (William Died at Glebe. NSW 8949/1926)
Edward T (Should be P) Born 1844 (Edward died at Cootamundra. NSW 8664/1900)
Elizabeth M.M. Born 1846
Thomas Alfred. Died at Murrumburrah. NSW 14784/1902 I have his death Cert.
Thomas's Wedding Cert. has his name asThomas Albert. He is mentioned in the Insolvency Record that I have for Joseph Samuel Barnes as Thomas Alfred Barnes.
I have a copy of Joseph's Insolvent Index. Number 14939 Joseph Samuel Barnes. From the State Records NSW. KINGSWOOD.
Joseph Samuel is my gg grandfather.
The Marriage of Joseph Barnes and Elizabeth Jane Stinson ( I have the Cert.) Married in the Parish of Yass in the County of Murry.
He is John's brother. Sister Susannah Eliza Born 3 Dec 1815 in Bletsoe (From the Bishop's Transcripts for Bletsoe 1602-1861) There is also another sister Elizabeth Born c 1810 who married a William Arnold. (I have no Record of this.) Information supplied by a Fred & Heather Allsopp.
I also found an old message on boards.ancestry.com.au posted 8 May 2001. Saying Essie Luckett was trying to locate birth details for her gg grandmother, Sussana Eliza Barnes who she believed was born in Bletsoe, Bedfordshire. UK in 1816. She thinks Sussana's father's name was Joseph and that he was a brewer and that her mother was Elizabeth Pickering.
I have Sussanah's Marriage Cert, She married George Robert Nichols. 16 Dec, 1837 Parish of Saint James in the County of Cumberland.
I found a shipping list. NSW Gov. Report if vessels arrived Series 1291, Reels 1263-1285, 2851 KINGSWOOD
On it I found a Susanna Barnes Born abt 1813
London to Port Jackson NSW
Arrival Date 11 Aug 1833
"Bussorah Merchant"
also an Elizabeth Barnes same ship Born abt 1811.
I haven't had a chance to look at those reels yet.

I'm still researching.
Regards
Sandra

DaveHam9
2nd April 2009, 04:46
Hello Sandra,

Thank you very much. That clears up a few things but it still leaves me with many questions.

I'll start with Joseph Samuel. I have born 17 May 1824 London and died 16 Jul 1878 Wagga Wagga Parents Joseph Barnes & Elizabeth Pickering, but I have nothing to support either of those claims. There is no extracted IGI entry for his birth or baptism on that date and no matching NSW death reg in 1878. Some researchers say the Joseph who married Elizabeth Jane STINSON died in 1879 in Coonabrabran to mother Ann.
---------------
I can see no source showing that the following is a brother.

John born 27 Jun 1812 again there is no extracted IGI record only a privately submited one and not all are reliable. This one may be but how do I know when other privately submited ones have King as mother's name? There are dozens of John BARNES. Do you have the extract from the Bishop's Transcripts for Bletsoe?

Palmyra BARNES John 22 26/09/1838 Reels 2654, 1293 90 [4/4780], [4/4833] Wife 19; farm labourer NRS 5313, 5314

There are lots of John BARNES and I've not had a chance to view any reels yet.
----------------------
Apart from Thomas, what other children came with John & Elizabeth? Again I have conflicting information about the munber of children born in England and the number who came to Australia.

Thomas Alfred b. 17 Apr 1836 ? where does that come from?

John Frederick b. 26 Sep 1837 Privately submitted IGI John & Elizabeth Ellen King - That researcher thinks King is the family name because Ellen seems not to be. I can find no entry in FreeBMD.

Elizabeth Jane b. 9 Jan 1839 ? I can find no entry in FreeBMD in 1839 but there is this extracted record:

b. 20 Sep 1836 c. 3 Sep 1837 Saint Mary-St Marylebone Road, Saint Marylebone, London, England
John & Elizabeth Batch: C035248

But no sign of a twin so it could be a totally different Elizabeth Jane.

George Robert b. 31 Jan 1840 , England John & Elizabeth Ellen King Privately submitted IGI Was he born in England?
I can find no entry in FreeBMD.

--------------
If John, Joesph and Susannah are siblings it seems a bit strange they came separately. I wonder why one researcher said they came together WITH their father?

Do you have a death for Elizabeth PICKERING in England? And do you have a death for her spouse Joseph?

Am I being too hard on you? I'm just trying to find reliable sources - births or baptisms in extracted IGI or births in FreeReg and I'm having trouble finding such sources for so many of the family.

I'm connected to them but not as directly as you are.

Regards,

Dave

sandra
4th April 2009, 00:32
died 1863 at Wollenbeen, Burrangong NSW....shot by Bushranger John O'Meally.....married Elizabeth Ellen King 1833...St Antholin, Budge Row, London UK....when was she born? died 1886 Cootamundra.. parents Thomas and mary.....Please send your address to Daune PO box 50 Marrickville NSW 2204 and I will post all I have FREE....Cheers, Daune

Hi Daune,
From Cootamundra Sons and Daughters Collection of family stories. From the Cootamundra District. 2002
Dorsetshire.
Elizabeth King Ellen Baptised in the Mustons Lane Independent Church in Shaftesbury. Dorsetshire.
Regards
Sandra

DaveHam9
4th April 2009, 07:20
Hello daune & Sandra,

Thanks, now I have noticed an extracted IGI entry with her name as Elizh. King Ellen - parents Thomas ELLEN & Elizh. KING.

I'm puzzled why I can't find their first few children in IGI or FreeBMD. I still can't find out how many were born in England and how many and which ones came to Australia with them besides Thomas. I doubt Thomas is the first born too.

Regards,

Dave

sandra
6th April 2009, 03:14
Hello daune & Sandra,

Thanks, now I have noticed an extracted IGI entry with her name as Elizh. King Ellen - parents Thomas ELLEN & Elizh. KING.

I'm puzzled why I can't find their first few children in IGI or FreeBMD. I still can't find out how many were born in England and how many and which ones came to Australia with them besides Thomas. I doubt Thomas is the first born too.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,
Joseph Samuel Barnes Died Wagga Wagga. NSW 16th July 1878 Stated on his headstone. I searched NSW. BDM for a Death Cert. They don't have one for him. But the Court Documents Confirm the date.
John's Age Stated on his Death Cert.
I found IGI Listings for Thomas Alfred Barnes Born: 17/4/1836 England
Died: 20/10/1902. Father John Barnes
IGI John Frederick Barnes Born: 26/9/1837 England.
IGI George Robert Barnes Born 31/1/1840 England
Died: 24/5/1920 Father John Barnes.
For all three their Mother is Listed as Elizabeth Ellen King? Surely this is a miss print.
A Wagga Wagga Reasearch Officer.Family History Society. Stated that John Barnes and Elizabeth King Ellen. Baptised their three sons on the 12th November 1837 at Dunstan Stepney, London. Before travelling to Australia in 1841 Naming them as Thomas Alfred, William John, and John Frederick.
I still have a lot more researching to do.

Regards
Sandra

DaveHam9
6th April 2009, 03:50
Hello Sandra,

Thank you for the information re Joseph's death. I have a similar situation with an ancestor who died in a boiler explosion near Ballarat in 1856. There is no death certificate because there was an inquest.

This may seem a silly question but how do you know the parents of Joseph Samuel are in fact Joseph and Elizabeth Pickering? There are a huge number of John and Joseph Barnes.

Re the children of John Barnes, I doubt it is a 'miss print' so it's more likely to be the information provided by the submitter. That's why I doubt the accuracy if they can't get the name correct. My impression is that the person never found the marriage and just guessed Ellen could not be the family name. I've seen people work back from age at death to give a birth date of 1783 in Sydney. Did Cook leave someone behind? :D

Re William John, if he was one of the three sons who arrived in 1841 then it's curious there is no entry for him anywhere being born in England. If he did in fact arrive then either he was baptised a second time or he died because this 1842 baptism has to be explained:

Reg# V18427325 45C/1842 BARNES WILLIAM J JOHN ELIZABETH K

How do we explain the baptism of George Robert in 1840?

Reg# V18407324 45C/1840 BARNES GEORGE R JOHN ELIZABETH K

That's too close to be some other family - 'George R' and 'Elizabeth K' - it has to be but how if they arrived in 1841?

There is a lot more work required to make this solid. I will continue to try and find more details to help.

Regards,

Dave

sandra
6th April 2009, 06:26
Hello Sandra,

Thank you for the information re Joseph's death. I have a similar situation with an ancestor who died in a boiler explosion near Ballarat in 1856. There is no death certificate because there was an inquest.

This may seem a silly question but how do you know the parents of Joseph Samuel are in fact Joseph and Elizabeth Pickering? There are a huge number of John and Joseph Barnes.

Re the children of John Barnes, I doubt it is a 'miss print' so it's more likely to be the information provided by the submitter. That's why I doubt the accuracy if they can't get the name correct. My impression is that the person never found the marriage and just guessed Ellen could not be the family name. I've seen people work back from age at death to give a birth date of 1783 in Sydney. Did Cook leave someone behind? :D

Re William John, if he was one of the three sons who arrived in 1841 then it's curious there is no entry for him anywhere being born in England. If he did in fact arrive then either he was baptised a second time or he died because this 1842 baptism has to be explained:

How do we explain the baptism of George Robert in 1840?

That's too close to be some other family - 'George R' and 'Elizabeth K' - it has to be but how if they arrived in 1841?

There is a lot more work required to make this solid. I will continue to try and find more details to help.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,
Not a silly question. Once again A past Research Officer (now deceased) at the Wagga Wagga History Society. Did research on the MOORE/ARMSTRONG/BARNES families and he wrote in his research that Thomas (son of John) was Joseph's nephew. Thomas married Isobella STINSON, younger sister of Elizabeth (Joseph's wife).
Also Barbara Carmichael wrote in The Stinsons of North Berry Jerry.Book. Isabella married Thomas Barnes on 16th Jan, 1866 at Berry Jerry Station. The witnesses at the marriage were: Joseph Barnes, Thomas' Uncle and his wife Elizabeth Jane Stinson, who was Isabella's sister.
I contacted Barbara to try and find out where they got the information. But to no avail.
I'll keep looking.
Regards,
Sandra

DaveHam9
6th April 2009, 09:21
Hello Sandra,

Thanks for that. I did have them married to the Stinson sisters but I didn't have the bit about who the witnesses were.

My connection is through Eliza Furner who married Joseph Thomas in 1893.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9
7th April 2009, 14:36
Hello Sandra,

We need to find out if this has a birth associated with it or if it is just a baptism:

How can they arrive in 1841 with this one:

Is there anything in the family history that indicates John came from Cornwall, but married Elizabeth in London?

The first three sons were baptised 12 Nov 1837 St Dunstan, Stepney, London, England so any Barnes except for Susannah arriving before that date are from a different family.

The is no marriage for a Joseph Barnes and an Elizabeth Pickering in the Bletsoe transcriptions.

What age at death is recorded for Joseph Samuel? Do the court documents say anything about where he was born or about his parents? Do we really know anything more about his parents than 'Joseph & Elizabeth' from his death certificate?

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9
9th April 2009, 02:10
Hello Sandra,

It seems there is no proof that the Elizabeth is Elizabeth Pickering. There is no such marriage in the parish records. There is this one though:

Eliz INFIELD & Jos BARNES
16 Oct 1809 Bletsoe, Bedford, England
Batch: M005081

There is also no record of a birth or baptism in 1812 of a John Barnes. The date 27 Jun 1812 can't be found in the records according to someone who works at the Bedford Archives.

A baptism that can be found in the parish records:

Susanna Barnes, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth, baptised at Bletsoe on 3rd December 1815.

That one is not on IGI as an extracted entry because the extracted IGI don't go past 1812 for Bletsoe.

It looks like it will remain a mystery unless we can find the person who submitted the IGI entry with the date for John and the Pickering bit and find out where that information came from.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9
9th April 2009, 03:30
Hello Sandra,

The following are all baptisms at St Andrew's Scots Presbyterian in Sydney.

# V18407324 45C/1840 BARNES GEORGE R JOHN ELIZABETH K

# V18427325 45C/1842 BARNES WILLIAM J JOHN ELIZABETH K

# V18447326 45C/1844 BARNES EDWARD T JOHN ELIZABETH K

# V18467327 45/1846 BARNES ELIZABETH M M JOHN ELIZABETH K

Regards,

Dave

sandra
9th April 2009, 05:56
Hello Sandra,

The following are all baptisms at St Andrew's Scots Presbyterian in Sydney.

# V18407324 45C/1840 BARNES GEORGE R JOHN ELIZABETH K

# V18427325 45C/1842 BARNES WILLIAM J JOHN ELIZABETH K

# V18447326 45C/1844 BARNES EDWARD T JOHN ELIZABETH K

# V18467327 45/1846 BARNES ELIZABETH M M JOHN ELIZABETH K

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,
I found the birth's of the four children at you have listed. But the best bit of information is I located Susannan Eliza Barnes, she did arrive on the "Bussorah Merchant" on the 11 Aug, 1833. I copied this next bit from "The Merchant's Woman. Imm-058 Writen by Elizabeth Rushen & Perry Mc Intyre.
Susannah Barnes was a 20 year-old English servant girl from London. She had entered the Refuge for the Destitute in 1831, the record of interview stating that her father was a brewer's servant at 2 Collingwood Street, Collingwood Terrace, which is located in Spitalfields, East London. Susannah had spent three months in the House of Correction for stealing a silver spoon from her mistress. It is apparent that she did not get along with her mother, as she claimed that her mother had treated her badly.
Susannah was admitted to the permanent branch of the Refuge and two years later, when the possibility for emigration was offered, she took up the opportunity after her father's permission had been granted.
On 13 December 1837, four years after her arrival in NSW Susannah married at St James Church of England, Sydney to George Robert Nichols a widower. Rev. Robert Cartwright performed the ceremony by special licence and the witnesses were Elisha Hayes, George Moss and Sarah Barnett of George St, Sydney.
Susannah was the second wife of George Robert Nichols, Sydney-born lawyer and politician. The grandson of Esther Johnson, he had been educated in England and in 1833 became the first native-born Australian admitted as a solicitor in NSW. Esther Johnson (nee Abrahams) was a First Fleet convict who gained social respectability as the wife of Lieutenant Johnson and was the beneficiary of his Annandale estate during her lifetime. Nichols edited "The Australian" newspaper in the late 1830's and in 1848 was elected to the Legislative Council. He was a strong supporter of the poor and less fortunate in the community and was opposed to transportation. "The Australian Dictionary of Biography" notes that he died on 12 Sep, 1857 of dropsy at his residence in York St.
Archbishop Polding led his funeral procession to the old cemetery in Devonshire St, and his remains were later transferred to the Anglican section of Rookwood Cemetery.
Susannah bore him two sons and pre-deceased her husband, dying on 12 Nov, 1846. She was buried by Rev William Cowper from the parish of St Laurence the next day. Cowper noted that she was a resident of Redfern, aged 30 years and "wife of Mr G.R. Nichols, Solicitor" Nichols married for a third time to Eliza Smith at Scots Church on 14 July 1854
The children of Sussanah and George were:
1 George Robert b 29 Mar 1838, bap 17 Sep, 1838 St James CofE, Sydney.
2 Sydney Francis: born 9 Oct 1840, bap 1 Feb 1840 ?? St James CofE. Sydney.
You might be right about Elizabeth Pickering but I will keep searching.

Regards
Sandra

DaveHam9
9th April 2009, 09:11
Hello Sandra,

That's great we have details of Susanna now.

Re Elizabeth Infield there are no baptisms that mention her by name but there are none that mention Pickering either. The baptism of Susanna simply says Joseph & Eizabeth.

What information was in the court documents re age at death, place of birth, parents, etc.. for Joseph Samuel?

Regards,

Dave

sandra
10th April 2009, 02:20
Hello Sandra,

That's great we have details of Susanna now.

Re Elizabeth Infield there are no baptisms that mention her by name but there are none that mention Pickering either. The baptism of Susanna simply says Joseph & Eizabeth.

What information was in the court documents re age at death, place of birth, parents, etc.. for Joseph Samuel?

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,
The Insolvency Doc. Do not mention Joseph Samuel's date of death, only refer to him as being deceased. The Insolvency was dated late 1879. No mention of parents or place of Birth.
His headstone on his grave at Wagga Wagga said he died July 16 1878. Aged 55 years.
John's Death Certificate states his parents as Joseph Barnes and E. Pickering.
Joseph's occupation as a Brewer.
I found a entry in www.parishregister.com for a Joseph Samuel Barnes. Born 4/2/1821 Mother Elizabeth. Father Joseph, Occupation: Brewer's Servant.
The address: Tarling Street, St. George in the East.
Source Ref: X097/238
Just a coincidence?
Regards,
Sandra

sandra
10th April 2009, 02:25

Hi Daune,
Thank you very much for the information. I haven't had a chance to sit down and go through it as yet. But I will be in touch.
Regards,
Sandra

DaveHam9
10th April 2009, 07:29
Hello Sandra & Daune,

It is Elizabeth King ELLEN: (Ellin / Ellen is as common name in Dorset)

Elizh. King ELLEN Birth: 3 Sep 1802
Christening: 4 Jan 1803 Mustons Lane-Independent, Shaftesbury, Dorset, England
Batch: C074311

Thomas ELLEN Spouse: Mary KING
14 Jul 1801 Holy Trinity, Shaftesbury, Dorset, England
Batch: M159511

Regards,

Dave

Marion
3rd November 2010, 00:05
Hello Daune

Note your posting several years ago for Joseph Barnes and family. I an helping a friend who is researching the Thomas Alfred Barnes family who was Joseph's son and am hoping you can share some details please. This info is only for personal use and not publication.

Many thanks
Marion (Sydney)