You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Emigration of service personnel and families? [Archive] - Family History UK Genealogy Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Emigration of service personnel and families?

benny1982
26th August 2009, 15:32
Hi

My grandad William Cornwell was in the RAF from about 1938 to 1960 something. In 1955 he was posted out to Kuala Lumpar and Singapore. He was an air pilot in the RAF. In the summer of 1956 my grandmother, mum, aunty and younger brother joined William in Singapore. They then stayed out there until September 1958 when they returned to the UK. Mum has told me a lot about this although I want to find out when Grandad William moved out there. I shall ask mum or my aunty if they know.

I have my nans passport and she attended the Embassy in London in 1956 and the passport has July 1956 stamped with the mark of Immigration Office Kuala Lumpar which is where they moved to first then on to Singapore.

Would this move still be classed as emigration? Would the moving of military men and their families to another country be classed as emigration?

Ben

Lincoln Lad
26th August 2009, 15:55
Hi Benny, I suspect it would not be classed as emmigration, as there was no intention of staying, purely the fact that the family followed to be with the serviceman.

As an ex serviceman my self (spent some time in Singapore as a youngster with father in forces) I know that the serviceman himself would have not needed a passport (although he may have held one) as he would have travelled on a military pass.

benny1982
26th August 2009, 16:37
Hi Lincoln Lad

They flew from England to Singapore and flew back in an RAF plane.

Ben

Lincoln Lad
26th August 2009, 17:05
Hi Lincoln Lad

They flew from England to Singapore and flew back in an RAF plane.

Ben

Hi Ben, we flew out on a British Eagle Britannia, and flew back if I remember correctly an RAF VC10. We would have been in Singapore at the same time as your Grandad, 1956 returning March '58

benny1982
26th August 2009, 19:57
My family stayed in Changi in Singapore.

sterico
26th August 2009, 22:04
Hi,
Would this move still be classed as emigration? Would the moving of military men and their families to another country be classed as emigration?

as regards your question, if service personell are sent overseas on active duty it is not classed as emigration , because wherever the personelle are based it is still classed as being on home soil,so are still governed by their home country
regards sterico

Lincoln Lad
27th August 2009, 15:19
We were at Tengah, dad was stationed at Bukit Gombak, the radar station not far from Tengah.